Monday, October 24, 2011

Lunch today

Didn't know what to make for lunch today.  Scanned the contents of the household and found:

  • Wildflower Bread Bakery Sourdough Bread (mmmm, the very best bread, but if you don't live here in AZ, any hearty sourdough bread will do)
  • pesto
  • grape tomatoes
  • goat cheese 
  • shredded mozzarella


Know what I did with it?  Made a caprese (sort of) sandwich.  One of my fave restaurants, The Living Room, makes an amazing pressed caprese sandwich.  I figured I could try to mimic it even though I don't have a sandwich press and I didn't have fresh mozzarella.

I buttered one side of each slice of bread.  On the other side I spread a heaping teaspoon of jarred pesto sauce (I happened to have Classico in the house because my basil plants all croaked over the summer.)

Took a couple of slices of soft goat cheese and crumbled them over the pesto on one slice of the bread.  Then I filled in the empty spots with some shredded mozzarella.  

I sliced about a handful of grape tomatoes in half and carefully placed these on the cheese.

Then I put the second slice of bread on top and placed the sandwich in a really hot grill pan (heated mine on 8 on my cooktop.)  Because I needed it to look like a pressed sandwich, I flipped a dinner plate over the top of the sandwich and sat my tea kettle, half full of water, on top.  Took about 4 minutes to toast the one side, I flipped the sandwich, and toasted the other side for about 2 minutes.  But your timing may vary.

Voila!  Yummy yummy yummy.  I ate it with sea salt & cracked black pepper potato chips, because that's what the Living Room serves.  Now where is that glass of Infamous Goose Sauvignon Blanc I usually have with it?

No comments: