Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Movies and my hub

We had a discussion at dinner the other night about the movies we've actually gone to the theater to see in the 20+ years that we've been married.  Turns out that in the 20+ years, neither of us can remember my ever choosing a movie that we've paid to see.  NEVER.  Perhaps we've watched some on TV (not likely) or rented (even less likely) but we can't think of a single one that we've paid to see that has been my choice. 

There are certain movies that must be seen on the big screen.  Those with special effects are at the top of the list.  Big movie screen special effects simply don't translate to the small screen at home.  Nor does the sound (unless you're privileged enough to have a home theater.)

I wanted to see Cowboys & Aliens.  I thought it would appeal to both of us cause Ron loves westerns and I love sci-fi.  Plus the special effects were done by Industrial Light and Magic.  Everything they do is pretty darn awesome.  Ron rolled his eyes at me when I suggested it, which then prompted the discussion listed above.

We went to see Cowboys & Aliens today.  I did not go to see this movie thinking it was going to be an awesome script or concept.  Really, the name alone implies silly.  Impressive cast though.  Anyway, without giving anything away, yes, it needs to be seen on the big screen.  Incredible sound and visual effects.  Fairly decent story for a really odd premise.  Good acting.  It was definitely entertaining.  And will never translate to the small screen.  It's absolutely a big screen movie.

Hub?  Well, he survived it.  Shook his head a lot and found the whole thing ridiculous, but he was entertained nonetheless.  On one of the hottest days of the summer, we were happily cold in a movie theater.  And now I can't hold over him that I never get to pick the movies, though now I'll have to be reminded that I pick less than stellar ones.

No comments: