Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Mmmmm Mac and Cheese

In addition to baking my heart out (which I've taken a sabbatical from after the holidays,) I have been cooking again.  New stuff, cause I am painfully bored with the staples.

Last night I made macaroni and cheese.  In this house we are on a quest to find something that comes close to Red Robin's Mac and Cheese, because Kyle claims there is nothing better on the planet.  Last month I tried one recipe and it was thumbs down.  The sauce wasn't creamy enough, nor was there enough of it.  So last night I made this one.



Totally thumbs up.  Ron ate one bowl and 20 minutes later was in the leftovers in the fridge.  Kyle said it was awesome.

I made a couple of changes to the recipe.  I used 4 8 ounce blocks of cheese, two sharp cheddar and two extra sharp cheddar, in place of the 3 10 ounce blocks (plus Cracker Barrel is twice the price of the other cheddars, and I did want it super cheesy!)  When making the sauce, be sure to slowly add in the cheese, a handful at a time, whisking until it is completely incorporated, to keep the sauce smooth.  Also, I cooked it in a deep CorningWare dish with the lid on for the first 15 minutes, so the sauce wouldn't dry out so much.  I made two layers and split the 2nd helping of cheese between these two.  It definitely was heavenly.



Now I have a friend coming to visit for one night this week, and haven't a clue what to make.  Stay tuned.

No comments: